The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is seeking a Communications Officer to provide a range of internal and external communications support and administrative duties to help raise the visibility of UNU-CS.
Reporting to the Director of UNU-CS, the main duties and responsibilities of the Communications Officer include the following:
- produce, publish and maintain content for the UNU-CS website;
- produce content and manage UNU-CS social media channels;
- write, review, edit, proofread and format content for academic and general audiences;
- design communications strategies and outreach programs; manage and coordinate UNU-CS communications activities;
- act as UNU-CS communications focal point within UNU;
- supervise contractors with work related to communications, such as designers, developers, photographers, producers, or print offices;
- manage UNU-CS website frontend using WordPress; provide basic website technical support;
- help with the creation of both online and offline materials highlighting activities of the Institute;
- perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Director.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
Required qualifications and competencies include:
- a degree in a Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Information Sciences, Information Management, or a related field;
- at least 3 years of experience in relevant area required, and a proven track record dealing with social media and website management;
- computer literate with significant knowledge of website content management, social media platforms, and other relevant applications;
- excellent communication skills, with proficiency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other UN languages, especially written Chinese, will be an asset;
- flexibility and ability to work under pressure and complete tasks within given time-frames;
- willingness to engage proactively, creatively, and imaginatively with the work of the Institute;
- good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau.
Duration of contract:
This is a full-time position on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to performance and funding availability. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
A non-resident position outside the duty station, or service under flexible hours, will also be considered on a twelve (12) month Consultant Contract (CTC), with the possibility for renewal. The combined duration of CTC appointments shall not exceed twenty-four (24) months in a 36-month period.
Communications Officer is a contract position falling outside of the United Nations Common System. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail in the form of an Adobe Acrobat PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae that lists your relevant experience and competencies;
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations;
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/CS/PSACTC/CO/41)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8).