The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is seeking to hire Research Assistants with relevant skills, experience and background to support research within its three emerging action-oriented Labs:
- Digital Peace Lab: Please see here for employment opportunities.
- Gender Tech Lab: ICTs that promote women’s empowerment and enable sustainable community led development.
- Small Data Lab: ICTs that create actionable knowledge from local data, empower citizens with data they trust, and improve global datasets with local data.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Director of UNU-CS and Research Fellows, successful candidates shall be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Research: carrying out research projects and assist in the production of agreed outputs including articles, policy reports and other materials.
- Communications: preparing and disseminating information on research, events, publications and announcements on social media and institutional mailing lists.
- Web content: writing and posting articles, announcements and events on the Institute´s website
- Event and conference coordination: supporting the organization of projects, lectures, conferences, workshops and other public events.
- Administration: engaging proactively in offering administrative support as needed to the Institute’s administrative team, as assigned by the Director and the administrative manager.
- Performing any other tasks as may be assigned by the Director.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- An undergraduate degree (bachelor) in a relevant area.
- Passion for the mission of the United Nations and UNU-CS.
- Proficiency with modern computer programming and analysis environments.
- Willing to engage proactively, creatively and imaginatively with the work of the Institute.
- Excellent communication skills, with proficiency in both oral and written English.
- Willingness to work in a dynamic start-up environment and to help build a leading global research institute.
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Starting monthly remuneration of a Research Assistant is USD$1,996. Remuneration will also be commensurate with technical qualification and experience of the successful candidate.
UN income is not subject to taxes in Macau. Please review important details on your full compensation package here.
Duration of contract:
This is a full time position on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU with the possibility for renewal subject to performance and funding availability, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Research Assistants are contract positions falling outside of the United Nations Common System. The successful candidate will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested parties should submit their applications by email to email@example.com, and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position.
- A curriculum vitae with a list of relevant research activities and publications.
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from the UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations.
- An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/CS/PSA/RA/29).
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8).