The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is seeking a Senior Research Officer to support the Director of UNU-CS in research and institutional activities.
Reporting to the Director of UNU-CS, the main duties and responsibilities of the Senior Research Officer include the following:
- in partnership with the Director, providing academic oversight for ongoing research projects and mentorship for academic personnel
- assisting and supporting the fundraising efforts for continuing and new initiatives of the Institute, such as devising new funding proposals
- assisting in developing research programmes and carrying out research relevant to the work of UNU-CS at an international level
- coordinating multidisciplinary research teams to deliver strong analytical work
- communicating research and project accomplishments at scientific meetings and international fora, and through publications
- supporting the Director in liaising with the host country authorities and member states representatives, UN agencies, and private sector and civil society organisations in relation to policy-relevant research programming
- managing and overseeing research team capacity building activities in select research areas
- developing, planning, and managing academic and research activities as well as publication and dissemination efforts in select research areas
- monitoring and evaluating research activities, which includes supervising the project leaders in drafting and submitting periodic reports; preparing descriptions of programme activities for various audiences, as required
- assisting the Director in developing strategic partnerships with UN agencies, international donors, academic institutions, and civil society organisations
- mentoring and motivating team members to deliver highest quality research that is policy-relevant
- supervising a limited number of Fellows and Research Assistants
- performing other tasks as assigned by the Director
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
Required qualifications and experience include:
- PhD in a computing or social science field related to the work of UNU-CS
- at least five (5) years of work experience related to the nexus of computing and development
- strong background in international, policy-relevant research
- proven track record of fundraising for international projects
- proven track record of high-quality academic and policy publications
- previous management experience in an academic/research institution is an asset
- strong communication and presentation skills, along with excellent drafting skills
- fluency in both oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an asset
- team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-3/P-4 level and allowances including post adjustment. Salaries of P-3/P-4 will be from US$72,478 and US$88,351 per annum, respectively Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common Systems, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave. For more information about United Nations salary and entitlement/benefits, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
UNU reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Duration of contract:
This is a full-time, fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance and availability of funds, with the combined duration of fixed-term appointments not exceeding six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail in the form of an Adobe Acrobat PDF file to email@example.com. Applications must include the following:
- a separate cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/CS/FTA/SRO/28).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8).