CBO Intermediated Data Collaboration
Community-based organizations (CBOs) have the potential to play a unique and crucial role in the process of implementing and monitoring progress towards meeting the UN SDGs. The research explores the modalities of engagement for CBOs, unpacks their data intermediation and collaboration role within the indicators data ecosystem, and explores the role of technology to amplify their engagement.
RATIONALE & MOTIVATION
The Sustainable Development Goals will not be achieved without leveraging partnerships with key societal stakeholders, hence the formulation of SDG 17. One such stakeholder is community-based organizations (CBOs). These are the organizations whose mission and vision primarily includes serving people in a local community and mobilizing individuals around specific, and generally locally focused issues. This research is premised on the argument that CBOs have the potential to play a unique and crucial role in the process of implementing and monitoring progress towards meeting the UN SDGs and that by enhancing and amplifying the work that CBOs already do in their communities they can serve as natural trusted messengers, data intermediaries (a la information intermediaries) and conduits for the marginalized and the excluded, whose voices might otherwise go unheard. The research aims to explore the modalities of engagement for CBOs and to unpack their data intermediation and collaboration role within the indicators data ecosystem.
This research is framed to address the following questions:
- What are the data challenges and opportunities for CBOs towards the UN SDGs?
- What are the dynamics of data intermediation for CBOs?
- How can technology support the engagement of CBOs in data intermediation and collaboration?
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES & METHODS
Towards addressing the research questions, the project has the following objectives:
- Undertake a contextual inquiry research with one of the CBO centers to identify the data opportunities and challenges.
- Through participatory design methods, undertake the development of an ICT / data enablement tool for the CBO.
- Study the use of data by the CBO identifying the engagement with CBO clients and upstream data consumers.
- Thinyane, M., Goldkind, L., & Lam, H. I. (2018). Data Collaboration and Participation for Sustainable Development Goals—a Case for Engaging Community-Based Organizations. Journal of Human Rights and Social Work, 1–8.
- Thinyane, M., Bhat, K., Goldkind, L., & Cannanure, V. (forthcoming) Critical Participatory Design: Reflections on Engagement and Empowerment in a case of a community-based organization, Participatory Design Conference 2018, Hasselt & Gent – Belgium, 20 – 24 August 2018.
Sustainable Development Goals, Community Based Organizations, Participation
This research activity is addressing the following UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)